what is botox procedure?
More and more people are turning to non-invasive cosmetic procedures, like Botox and dermal fillers as an alternative to plastic surgery. Made from the botulinum toxin, Botox is used in Medical Aesthetics to improve your appearance by reducing wrinkles and fine lines.
Did you know that the history of Botox dates back to the late 1800s? The bacteriologist Emile van Ermengem was the first to isolate botulinum toxin, but it was only at the end of the 1970s that medical professionals started using botulinum toxin to treat muscle spasms. The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved Botox to treat wrinkles and fine lines in 2002. Since then, Botox has turned into one of the most popular aesthetic treatments worldwide to restore a youthful appearance.
You still have many questions about Botox treatment, don’t you? You can explore more details in this article!
What is Botox procedure and how does it work?
Botox injection is an innovative aesthetic therapy involving the injection of a small amount of purified botulin under the skin with fine needles. It’s possible to treat several areas of concern during one session. Botox injections block nerve signals to the muscles resulting in muscle paralysis. That’s to say, the temporary freezing causes muscles to become immobile and eliminates signs of skin aging, such as ceases, deep lines.
Though Botox is generally a safe procedure, it isn’t recommended for some individuals. Pregnant and breastfeeding women, as well as those who suffer from neuromuscular disorders or have an allergy to cow’s milk protein, should avoid Botox injections.
What is Botox used for?
Botox is one of the aesthetic medicine procedures to smoothen wrinkles and fine lines, as well as treat different medical conditions, for example, chronic headaches.
1. Botox injections in neck.
2. Botox injection for lips.
When the dermatologist injects botulinum toxin type A into the lip area, the treatment provides key cosmetic enhancements, including:
- Diminishing lines in the upper, as well as lower lip area.
- Lifting the corners of the mouth
- Eliminating the “gummy” smile
- Improving the upper lip and making your lips look larger (the procedure is also known as Botox lip flip).
3. Botox injections for headache.
In addition to cosmetic enhancement purposes, Botox is considered effective in treating muscle pain-related conditions like chronic muscle spasms and migraines.
After the treatment, the muscles become less sensitive to pain. The procedure usually lasts not more than 20 minutes. Depending on the patient’s condition, the physician might recommend Botox injections once in 3 months to treat chronic migraine more efficiently.
What is chronic migraine? Typically, if you have a headache for at least 15 days per month, it means your migraine is chronic.
Botox treatment for face.
With Botox, you can enhance your appearance and diminish fine lines on different parts of the face, such as the forehead, lips, etc. Here is the list of areas of the face that are best for the Botox procedure:
- Horizontal forehead lines appear on your forehead when you raise your eyebrows repeatedly.
- Frown lines are the vertical lines between the eyebrows, also known as glabellar lines. Different expressions, including frowning or squinting lead to such wrinkles.
- Crow’s feet are tiny wrinkles at the corners of the eyes. These are 3 separate lines that look like the crow’s feet.
- Bunny lines are small wrinkles that appear on either side of the nose, just below the bridge. The frequent contraction of nasalis muscles, like laughing results in such lines.
- Marionette lines refer to creases extending from the corners of the mouth to the chin.
- A tear trough is a groove between your lower eyelid and cheek. It becomes slightly noticeable in young people who are in their 20s. As we age, the tear trough becomes more visible.
Botox treatment before and after
What is Botox made of and Is Botox safe?
Botox injection is generally a safe and efficient rejuvenation therapy with a good safety record. It is injected in small doses to provide a natural-looking and youthful appearance.
Make sure that Botox is administered by a qualified and licensed healthcare professional to benefit from various cosmetic enhancements.
Side effects of Botox
The side effects of the treatment are mild. You may have pain, swelling, and slight bruising at the injection site. However, typically all of the symptoms disappear within several hours or a day. You should avoid rubbing or massaging the treated area to prevent Botox from migrating to other parts of the face. For the first days after the treatment, you can use aesthetic skin care products, like moisturizers and cleansers to wash and hydrate your face. However, avoid cosmetic treatments, including microdermabrasion for at least 7 days.
How long does it take for Botox to work?
You can get the first results of the Botox injection from 24 to 48 hours and you may notice that your wrinkles became softer. The full effects of the treatment are noticeable between 1 and 2 weeks.
How long do Botox injections last?
In most cases, Botox treatment lasts from 3 to 6 months. When the muscles of the face return to action, wrinkles, and fine lines appear again. To maintain your improved appearance, you will need follow-up injections on a regular basis.
To sum up, Botox is an efficient and safe cosmetic procedure to help you get rid of all the skin aging signs. So, when you see your own reflection in the mirror, you’ll just admire your youthful, wrinkle-free, and glowing skin.